Sunday, July 26, 2009

A TIME FOR REFLECTION

This house over looking the water and the long river trail meandering in close proximity to both my home and the large body of recreational water that is known here as the old Missouri River and since the mid 1960's, the Corps of Engineer's, Lake Oahe, has exceeded all expectations.

Initially, I remember not wanting to take the dogs out for a walk on the trail, and procrastinating, as long as possible, in finding the (easy) access to it.

That was then, and this is now.

Each morning, my first thoughts are of taking a walk by the water. I want to feel the wind, hear the birds, see the green hills across the wide expanse of water, and smell the fragrance of the healthy living earth.

Oliver and Grover are eager to share the experience and dance merrily ahead on short leads. Snakes, some venemous, are often seen on the trail and the mowed grass so the little dogs must be kept close. The vipers lie there looking more dead than alive at times and it up to us to avoid them. Be that as it may, they are part of the ecosystem, the whole beautiful pristine natural world created by God in all of his glory and wisdom.

It is important for me to note that this nature walk takes precedence over eating breakfast, showering, house work or entertainment. It is a soothing of the soul and a time for reflection.

Of course all of those things happen after we get back and cool off, but guess what? I have already lost inches around my waiste. I don't know about pounds because the scale is home in Puyallup, but, inches, yes, because I can zip up jeans that have have been on the shelf awhile.
Yeahhh!

Speaking of reflections, here is a poem that I would like to share with you. Don't know the title, only the words:

When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever,

Leaving in it's place something I have traded for it.

I want it to be gain, not loss; good, not evil; success, not failure;

In order that I shall not regret the price I paid for it.


_ K. Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment