Friday, April 22, 2011

A THOUSAND BLENDED NOTES RECEIVED BY A MOTHER FROM HER SON

What an honor to receive the following poem from our son, Jamie Brockamp. Knowing that these words brought his Mother to mind is comforting.

We are on the same page in so many ways, especially regarding the topic of sustainable agriculture, and genetic diversity of seed. And I can't wait everyday to speak with him about all of our plans for the land and gardens, and of our passion for permaculture and the beauty of the wide open spaces. Many days, these conversations take place while he is in grid lock traffic in the city, and longing for the peace and tranquility of country living.


A POEM FROM MY SON

(unknown poet)
I heard a thousand blended notes,
While in a grove I sate reclined,

In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts
Bring sad thoughts to the mind.

To her fair works did Nature link
The human soul that through me ran;
And much it grieved my heart to think
What man has made of man.

Through primrose tufts, in that green bower,
The periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
And 'tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes.

The birds around me hopped and played,
Their thoughts I cannot measure: --
But the least motion which they made,
It seemed a thrill of pleasure.

The budding twigs spread out their fan,
To catch the breezy air;
And I must think, do all I can,
That there was pleasure there.

If this belief from heaven be sent,
If such be Nature's holy plan,
Have I not reason to lament
What man has made of man?


No comments:

Post a Comment