Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cooking For Lexi

My youngest child is a vegetarian, and has been from the age of ten. And I have been on and off the wagon for some time, myself. I don't have the will power, strength and resolve of my daughter, and consequently can be labeled an Omnivore.

But I really do enjoy good vegetarian and vegan food, and have been enjoying that cuisine with members of my family for years. There are some wonderful recipes out there, and I'm always in search of more to enrich Alexa's life and ours.

Here is a recipe for a Sun Burger that has good, natural ingredients and a tasty sauce. Can't wait for the opportunity to cook it for the family. I know Lexi will love it!

Sunburger Patties:
  • 2 cup grated carrots
  • 2 cups sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 TBSP water
  • 1.25 cup tomato juice
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1 TBS onion powder
Clean, grate and measure carrots. Place in bowl.. Grind sunflower seeds in blender or food processor until fine. Add to carrots. In skillet saute onions in water until soft. Add to bowl along with remaining ingredients. Stir together well. Using 1/3 cup portions, place on oiled cookie sheet and form into patties. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Turn over and bake an additional 15 minutes.
These are my go to dish when we’re having several people over for dinner and 1 or 2 of them are vegetarian. The meat-eaters ALWAYS ask for this recipe, and these burgers usually disappear before the meat dish. They are really good served with the following sauce.
Cashew White Sauce
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 2 TBSP onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 2.5 cups additional water
  • 1 TBS dried parsley

Blend first five ingredients on high 1-2 minutes until creamy. While blender is running, pour in remaining water and blend briefly. Pour into saucepan and add parsley. Cook over medium-high heat stirring constantly until thickened.


No comments:

Post a Comment