Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Wayward Wind

After reading some of my postings on this site, it has occurred to me that a great deal of time passed without any activity on my blog, and some updates are in order.

There was a point in time when I think my blogging reflected negativity in attitude and that is not what I wanted to convey. In retrospect, I've come to realize that there are ups and downs in farming and working with the land and it's important to be honest about those less than enthusiastic reactions to bad weather, implement break downs and insects. Frustration and jubilation go hand in hand, and I believe they are universal emotions for farmers.

It's important to remember that there is nothing guaranteed when working with nature, and plants and animals. The important thing to me is that the land is a living entity. The wind, the thunderstorms, the predators, and insects, as well as the cycle of constant change are all part of a grand design, one that is beyond our understanding. And it is precisely this wild and untenable aspect that we find so intriguing. There's freedom and Grace to be found in the wayward wind, and possibly even a defiance and wildness for us to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment